August 2023 Magnetic Storm Calender: How It May Affect Your Health and What You Can Do About It
In the coming month, Earth is bracing for three magnetic storms of varying intensity and duration. According to the Space Weather Prediction Center of the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), August 2023 is expected to witness a significant occurrence of magnetic storms.
While solar storms and solar flares primarily affect radio communications, electric power grids, navigation signals, spacecraft, and astronauts, they can also have implications for human health.
Expected Magnetic Storms in August 2023:
During August 2023, three magnetic storms are predicted to impact our planet. The first magnetic storm is anticipated from August 2 to August 4, followed by the second storm from August 16 to August 17. The last magnetic storm of the month is expected to occur from August 18 to August 20.
How Do Solar Storms Affect Human Health?
Solar storms and their associated geomagnetic disturbances can potentially exacerbate existing health conditions.
Studies suggest that disturbed geomagnetic activity is correlated with increased risks of cardiac arrhythmia, cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction-related death, changes in blood flow, elevated blood pressure, and epileptic seizures.
While solar flares are generally not alarming or directly hazardous to human health, it is advisable to exercise caution and be aware of the possible health effects during periods of intense space weather.
Observed Symptoms during Magnetic Storms:
During magnetic storm activity, individuals may experience various symptoms, including depressed mood and irritability, fluctuations in blood pressure, sleep disturbances, joint pain, feelings of apathy or anxiety, headaches, dizziness, and exacerbation of chronic diseases.
Mitigation Strategies to Improve Well-being:
To minimize the potential impact of magnetic storms on health, consider adopting the following measures:
- Eat a balanced diet and engage in regular exercise.
- Prioritize restful sleep to support your body during periods of heightened space weather.
- Stay hydrated by consuming plenty of water or soothing herbal tea.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages and fatty foods that may exacerbate health issues.
- Incorporate a variety of greens and seasonal vegetables into your diet for nutritional support.
- Manage stress and avoid disturbing events that may add to feelings of anxiety during magnetic storms.
- Consider a contrast shower before bedtime to promote relaxation and restorative sleep.
- Ensure your home first aid kit is well-stocked with necessary medications and supplies.
As Earth prepares to encounter a series of magnetic storms in August 2023, it is crucial to be mindful of potential health implications. While solar flares are typically not hazardous to human health, the disturbances in the solar environment can interact with existing health conditions.
By taking precautionary measures and adopting healthy practices, you can better cope with the effects of magnetic storms and prioritize your well-being during this period of heightened space weather activity.
Image Credit: Shutterstock